Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Dog Days (are not) Over

I'll admit, since running in my first half-marathon on June 4th my ambition to run and write about running has suffered. My lack of initiative coupled with the hottest summer in years has led to very few accumulated miles. Then I started working with a roofing crew.
I'm looking for a job in a different state at the moment, and needed something to fill in. A friend needed some assistance and it wasn't long before I was cutting the sleeves off of all of my old t-shirts. Yes, I embraced the good 'ol American hard work ethic. I'll admit it has been nice to get away from the computer screen and work outdoors all day long.
After the first week of roofing I decided that I don't care what my work schedule may end up being this fall, I'm going to train for the Middlebury Hilly Half and I'm going to run it in under two hours.
I'm back to training, I put in some solid miles last week. This time however, I'm taking a different approach. For my first half, I only concentrated on going the distance. No matter how long it took me to run the race, I wanted to build up to 13.1 miles. This time I'm starting from the bottom up. I want to nail down an eight minute mile pace before I start to build up the miles. I'll let you know how it all works out. Until then, I'll get double training by lugging shingle bundles up onto the roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment